Renters Insurance in France

  • Get insured from €80/year
  • Full English experience: your contract and all our contacts!
  • One formula, all-inclusive!

I need a quote!

Expats Living in France

08 / 01 / 19

Finally you’re in France! A new job and a new home. Everything’s ready-to-go…or so you thought. You’re ready to sign your rental agreement and suddenly you find yourself hit with a tonne of paperwork. Bienvenue en France! A so-called ‘modern country’ where paperwork and bureaucracy still rule.  Before you sign on the dotted line you need to have home insurance. Your landlord wants the certificate right here, right now. So what is it? What’s it for? How do I choose the best one? How much does it cost?

Don’t worry, we’ve got all the answers.

Renter’s Insurance – Compulsory in France

That’s right, in France you need to have home insurance. No really – it’s the law. That means almost everyone in France has it and there are hundreds of companies to choose from.

Sometimes your landlord will have taken out something to cover the home – but these policies usually just cover the minimum legal requirements (so basically just the building itself). That means if you want to want your possessions and ‘personal liability’ covered, you’ll need your own home insurance policy. The most common type in France is an MRH (multi-risk home) insurance contract.

What is an MRH insurance?

An MRH insurance policy protects you financially when things go wrong in your everyday life. It’s the most comprehensive cover as it includes every basic guarantee (which is probably why it’s the most popular type of home insurance in France).

What does it cover?

An MRH contract covers:

Your possessions in the home (furnitures, clothes, valuables…)
Damage you and the people you live with could accidentally cause to others (inside or outside your home)
Damage you could accidentally cause to the building you live in (renters only).

Who is covered?

The people covered under the MRH are:

The policyholder and their spouse/partner when living permanently under the same roof
Their descendants and ascendants (children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, etc.) when living permanently under the same roof.
Housemates if specified in the tenancy agreement (at the registered address).

When am I covered?

With these policies you’ll be covered for:

Fire and explosion
Water and frost damage
Theft and vandalism
Broken glass
Weather events
Natural and technological catastrophes
Terrorist attacks

Take care when choosing a policy. Not every insurer includes the full coverage – theft, vandalism and broken glass are often excluded. It’s important that you make sure that your contract covers everything you need before you go ahead and  take it out.

How long does my cover last?

Policies typically last a year and are renewed automatically unless you say otherwise. The good news is that you can cancel your policy at any time, once your policy is a year old thanks to La Loi Hamon (Thank you, France!). There are two ways to cancel your policy. You can either contact your insurer and cancel the policy yourself or if you buy a new policy the new insurer will take care of the cancellation of the old one (leaving them to deal with the admin that the French are so famous for).

Sound complicated to you? It doesn’t have to be. At Homebrella you can cancel your policy at any time, all you need to do is send us a quick email. Simple!

What is personal liability?

In France having personal liability is not compulsory. Saying that, it is one of the most popular guarantees  as it covers you from accidents that might occur in your day-to-day life. Insurers know this which is why it’s always included as part of  renter’s insurance. It covers you for accidental damage that you might cause to somebody else or their property. Your insurer handles everything – saving you time, money and effort.

What is a deductible?

Sometimes known as an ‘excess’, a deductible is your contribution towards a claim, which isn’t reimbursed. For example, if you made a claim for €4,000 worth of damage with a €200 deductible, the pay-out you receive would be €3,800 (still pretty good, eh?).

Sometimes you can choose your deductible but often your insurer will do it for you.


When looking at quotes, check the deductible as it can vary between insurers.

highlighted icon

The deductible impacts the price. Usually the lower the deductible, the higher your premium.

How do I choose my insurance?

We know what it’s like trying to deal with admin in a foreign country. We’ve been there. That’s why policies here at Homebrella are designed with you in mind.
For us, simplicity is key. That’s why we offer an easy and straightforward solution.

A 100% English-language service
Our website, quotes and documents are all available in English. Our advisers speak fluent English too.
Online insurance
No paper! You can even chat to us online through our website or give us a quick call if there’s anything you’re unsure of.
Competitive prices
Why pay more?
An optional ‘gadget’
upgrade to cover your PC, phone or tablet wherever you go!
A non binding contract
You’re free to cancel at any time (although we’re sure you’ll want to stay).

Need insurance? Get your Homebrella quote now. With just 10 questions it takes less than two minutes.